About the Program
HUGS was developed by the United States Gymnastics Federation. This is an adaptive gymnastics program designed especially for special needs individuals of all ages.
The FREE program consists of training fun designed for athletes with Special Needs. Parents are welcome to stay and participate or observe the program. Instruction is provided by certified Spirit Gymnastics coaches and volunteers trained to work with special needs children. Lakeland Regional Rehabilitation staff partners with us, providing occupational therapist as part of the program providing adaptive gymnastics therapy recommendations.
This program is designed to help special needs children to improve physical abilities, balance, coordination, strength, endurance, flexibility, environment to practice and learn social skills, and a place to build confidence with adaptive gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, parachute activities, bounce house and a wide array of games and activities for fun.
Through the HUGS Special Needs Program we have seen how the children become more verbal, improved direction following and learned to take turns through a rotation. Our athletes also develop close relationships with each other and their coaches. Children who are able to develop early relationships with peers have higher self-esteem, better mental health and greater levels of independence and better employment records as adults.
Spirit Gymnastics HUGS Special Needs Program is free to any special needs person.
- Open to girls and boys.
- Ages four through adult.
- We ask parents and guardians to join their child on the gymnastics floor to ensure their safety. This allows our coaches to teach gymnastics skills while parents help us manage the students and help keep them focused. Our goal is to create and maintain a safe environment.
- Participants and parents must have a waiver on file before participation on the gymnastics floor.
- All participants must go on our Parent Portal and complete the parent’s information, participant’s information and waivers.
- It is very important to keep our staff informed of any changes in your child’s therapy, doctor’s instructions or disruption in their day-to-day schedule that may affect them in the HUGS class.
- Appropriate clothing for the class is a t-shirt, warm-up pants or shorts. No jewelry is allowed. Hair should be up, if possible, if it touches the student’s shoulders. No socks or shoes are allowed on the floor. Cubbies are provided for socks and shoes.
- The HUGS Program will be offered four weeks each month. If a month has five Saturdays, no classes will be held on the fifth Saturday. No classes will be held on holidays. Please check the website, our Facebook or call the gym with schedule questions.
Join spirit Youth HUGS
Our HUGS program takes place every Saturday morning from 9:30 – 10:30. Click on the Parent Portal link above to register your athlete. Please be sure to complete the parent information, student information and waivers.
Each month, log on to your portal, click on the HUGS Camp Classes and select the Saturdays your athlete will be attending.
Modified Gymnastics Competition Program
This program is also free and is a modified competitive gymnastics program. In addition to developing the same skills as the recreational program, they also develop life skills and improve problem solving which plays an integral part in performing a gymnastics routine because gymnasts are routinely challenged by different obstacles. The competitive program meet every Saturday from 9:30 – 10:30 and the gymnasts compete locally between January and May.
Support our HUGS Program
Thank you to our generous sponsors!
This program is provided through the Spirit Gymnastics Youth Association (501C3).